POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant, Advancement Communications, Marketing, Events & Donor Relations
DEPARTMENT: Advancement Communications, Marketing, Events and Donor Relations
CLOSING DATE: August 14, 2019
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), Advancement Communications, Marketing, Events & Donor Relations, with functional accountability to the Manager, Advancement Communications and Marketing, the Administrative Assistant, Advancement Communications, Marketing, Events & Donor Relations contributes to the smooth and efficient functioning of the office, providing an advanced level of organizational, administrative and secretarial support for the Department of Advancement Communications, Marketing, Events and Donor Relations, and for coordinating the day-to-day administrative services for the Executive Director.
The Administrative Assistant serves as a main point of contact for inquiries to the office and works collaboratively to share expertise with colleagues in executing their marketing and communications objectives. The incumbent performs a variety of administrative duties with prompt, error-free results in support of the planning, coordination, and execution of the Executive Director’s objectives, as well as those of the Department, for the Office of Advancement. As such, this position requires a customer-focused individual with sound judgment and good people skills, who enjoys working with others and thrives on a wide variety of detail-oriented administrative work requiring a high level of attention to detail. This position also has direct responsibility for the handling, storage, management, and disposal of highly sensitive and confidential strategic and human resource (HR) materials such as calendars, meeting materials, performance evaluations and confidential employee files.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responds to inquiries and acts as a frontline resource and contact person for the ED and Department of Advancement Communications, Marketing, Events and Donor Relations. Handles all types of incoming calls, monitors email accounts, and triages accordingly, providing prompt, accurate and courteous support. Works with departmental colleagues to ensure thorough awareness of upcoming events, communications, and activities, to provide efficient and effective information. Uses sound judgment, redirects tasks not requiring senior management involvement, and proactively researches and compiles facts for those that do.
- Plans and maintains the ED’s schedule with a view to prioritizing meetings; rearranges and defers meetings as required when urgent matters arise; refers requests when needed; coordinates and prepares ED briefing files for daily meetings which include background notes, biographical information, speaking notes, schedule of events, etc.; prepares and circulates agendas, minutes and background materials; books guests, rooms and equipment; attends meetings to record minutes and transcribe; maintains an effective bring forward system.
- Assists in the planning and execution of email communications. Produces mail and email lists and related reports; works with faculties/schools and units across the university to implement and coordinate email communications and marketing tactics, ensuring adherence to the alumni email policy; performs data compilation from Advance; obtains appropriate codes through Information Technology Management; queries/updates on Advance (gift account information, contact reports, notes, interest/activity codes).
- Reviews email content for compliance to privacy, anti-spam, accessibility and Queen’s brand guidelines.
- In collaboration with the Advancement Services team, provides user-support on broadcast email system (i.e. WhatCounts) including developing documentation and application support.
- Coordinates and collects content within project timelines for the ALTogether Now Newsletter, Alumni Newsletter, the Queen’s Alumni Review, the Queen’s News Centre and other communications tools.
- Assists in the coordination of social media tactics and monitors alumni social media activity.
- Supports the production of print and electronic materials for Advancement communications and marketing including: Cases for Support, brochures, letters, email, information kits, annual reports, mail and email lists, and digital communications (websites and web graphics, e-newsletters, social media initiatives, etc.).
- Produces reports for online alumni communications channels using e-communication platforms, Radian 6 tracking tools, Google analytics, and other online media tracking tools as required.
- Updates the marketing and communications matrix with a thorough understanding of the Smartsheet software as part of implementation of integrated marketing and communications plans.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, enters timelines and critical paths for the execution of departmental plans and initiatives in the project management tool.
- Schedules interviews, focus groups, meetings, photo and video shoots.
- Places advertising and monitors and updates paid media schedules.
- Maintains a competitor analysis and archives electronic and hard copy data of other campaign materials to allow for efficient retrieval of data.
- Provides administrative support to the Executive Director and the Advancement Communications and Marketing team, including coordinating departmental meetings and special departmental projects; scheduling meetings; tracking project status and action items; arranging travel and accommodations in compliance university policies and procedures; preparing correspondence for approval and signature; developing multimedia presentations; filing contact reports as requested on the alumni database (Advance); word processing and document formatting.
- Maintains confidential files containing sensitive materials related to organizational strategic plans; operational funding initiatives, alumni/donor sensitive correspondence, and personnel files including hiring materials, employment contracts, and all other employee-specific confidential HR documents.
- Performs financial and accounting duties as needed in support of the department, such as assisting with budget preparation, preparing cheque requisitions and travel expenses, journal entries, purchase orders, monitoring and reconciling accounts and VISA statements.
- Maintains the Office of Advancement webpages. Updates and writes online draft content for various websites as required on a timely basis in accordance with print advertising, social media and other electronic initiatives.
- Monitors procedures and endorses administrative practices to ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of the office. Recommends revisions and amendments to administrative practices in consultation with the ED. As necessary, implements all aspects of changes in practices and procedures and informs staff.
- Coordinates physical services for the department including resolving building issues such as repairs and service complaints; coordinates equipment maintenance; ensures provision of office supplies, computers, equipment and furnishings for the department.
- Administers timekeeping and enters casual contracts into Human Resources (HR) PeopleSoft for the department, ensuring accurate and timely entry.
- Undertakes other duties as required in support of unit and/or department.
- Minimum three-year post-secondary program, preferably in communications, marketing, advertising, public relations (or equivalent).
- Several years of demonstrated successful experience in a marketing and/or communications environment, preferably in a university or institutionally relevant setting.
- Proficient in developing multimedia presentations including knowledge of spreadsheets and presentation software including Microsoft Office and Smartsheet. Knowledge of graphic design an asset.
- Advanced technical skills and experience with broadcast email dashboards, Radian 6 tracking tools, Google analytics, other online media tracking tools, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), PeopleSoft, ERS, FAST Reporting, Advance, and internet tools. An aptitude to learn new software applications considered an asset.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience for print, web, and social media.
- An understanding of accessibility issues, and federal and provincial legislation pertaining to electronic communications regarding accessibility, privacy and electronic security and anti-spam.
- Experience in financial reporting, reconciling and monitoring accounts considered an asset.
- Familiarity with a broad range of Queen’s University policies and procedures; sound knowledge of the university’s administrative, financial, academic and governance structures considered an asset.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong customer service focus and stewardship mind-set, with the ability to meet the needs of a broad range of internal and external audiences both professionally and effectively.
- Knowledge of marketing and communication programs and activities.
- Proficient in the use of principal social media applications such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills to prepare correspondence, record and transcribe minutes, write online content, edit and proofread publications.
- Superior written/oral/interpersonal skills to work well in a complex, decentralized environment.
- Results and goal oriented while working in a demanding work environment with multiple sources of work assignments, requiring meeting deadlines, maintaining accuracy and superior attention to detail, quality/efficiency, and ability to meet or exceed standards.
- Diplomacy and tact in dealing with diverse groups of people: alumni, university employees, donors, volunteers and third-party service providers. Ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels internal and external to the university who interact with the Office of Advancement.
- Strong analytical, independent thinking, and problem-solving skills to review data, determine reporting, and help resolve administrative problems in order to maximize efficiency. Research skills considered an asset.
- Excellent time management and highly effective organizational/administrative skills to deal with a consistently high volume of work and juggle conflicting priorities flawlessly, ensuring deadlines are met. Ability to work under pressure, solve problems, set timelines and prioritize effectively required.
- Strict attention to detail and accuracy with an appreciation for the implications of errors for the university and the Office of Advancement with respect to reputation and relationship building; is thorough when performing tasks and conscientious about attending to details, ensuring quality of products and services.
- Flexible, takes initiative and uses resourcefulness to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; as much of the work and records are confidential, discretion is required.
- Selects best means to find needed information; determines when and to whom to delegate enquiries.
- Exercises sound judgment in prioritizing the Executive Director’s schedule and workload; recognizes when to alert the Executive Director if deadlines are not being met, and if additional support is necessary.
- Determines meeting logistics and decides how to rearrange schedules based on competing demands and availability. Resolves scheduling conflicts by determining priorities to juggle conflicting meetings.
- Determines priorities within time constraints of demanding workload to ensure all deadlines and objectives are met. Decides how to best coordinate time and effort between various programs/projects.
- Anticipates, analyzes and resolves accounting/administrative problems within guidelines as they arise, referring only highly unusual problems to the Executive Director/Manager.
- Decides how to handle with sensitivity and tact a variety of inquiries and requests from alumni, students, volunteers, faculty and staff; decides where to refer emails/callers to ensure the inquiry is handled promptly; determines when to seek support from resources as required; provides follow-up as necessary, ensuring matters are handled to successful completion.
- Reviews content of various materials, including email communications, marketing tactics, project plans, web content, meeting materials and reports.
- Determines appropriate methods to use in the evaluation of data and/or compilation of reports and dissemination of information as required.
- Determines optimum practices, systems, processes and task management procedures needed to support the Department’s communication, administrative and customer service needs. Recommends efficient administrative procedures, determining processes and activities that enhance the department’s function within the university; seeks approval and implements changes.
APPLICANTS PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW: