Region: Toronto, ON
Do you want to make a difference, contribute to a high performing team, enjoy work life balance and genuinely feel respected for the great work that you do? If so, Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, is currently seeking a Senior Manager, Prospect Research (Knowledge Management). Apologies for the long job posting, we want to make sure you know what you are applying for!
Under the direction of the Director, Philanthropy Business Operations, The Senior Manager, Prospect Research provides leadership and direction to the prospect research hub which supports the philanthropic efforts to support the work of the Canadian Red Cross domestically and globally. The prospect research hub provides responsive, accurate, and precise donor intelligence and information that informs the decision-making of fundraisers so that a desired plan of action is confirmed; and identifies prospects whose connections, interest, capacity or philanthropic inclination predispose them to support the fundraising priorities of the Canadian Red Cross. Providing expertise and guidance to direct reports, the Senior Manager will focus growing the prospect management function for major gifts and corporate partnerships, while ensuring that the highest standards of data capture, storage and analysis are maintained.
Responsibility 1 – Executes a national prospect research strategy and operational plan to deliver value-added information to professional fundraising staff with respect to their prospect portfolios
- Provides tactical guidance to a team of dedicated prospect research staff; sets priorities and monitors workflow to ensure that information to support donor activity is provided on a timely basis.
- Defines and produces a range of research products and reports to meet operational and information needs.
- Escalates and prioritizes urgent requests so that ‘just in time’ prospect research needs are supported
- Oversees the gathering, analysis, interpretation and maintenance of information that supports each stage of the fundraising process.
- Works closely with Business Operations to ensure data is captured accurately and consistently in the database for effective reporting. Collaborates with the Business Operations hub on relevant projects related to data mining, database management, data analytics and data migration.
- Collaborates with senior leadership on the overall major gifts pipeline, including the execution of a national prospect management clearance process.
- Works with the Senior Director of Philanthropy and Vice-President, Philanthropy to implement, track and report on donor relations management activities and metrics.
- Provides analysis to identify clusters of capacity, affinity or interest, develops strategy to engage groups, and creates execution plans.
- Provides strategic and tactical advice to Directors to further cultivation and solicitation strategies of various donor groups in different fundraising channels.
- Devises strategies with the Philanthropy team to proactively obtain new major gifts and corporate/foundation prospects in order to ensure the ongoing development, expansion and renewal of the donor pipeline.
- Collaborates on internal and external prospect screening and data mining projects in order to maximize the impact of data and information on fundraising strategy.
- Ensures analytics findings and key prospect segments identified are incorporated into ongoing prospect identification and qualification activities to maximize resource effectiveness.
- Monitors relevant current events, news stories and internal communications.
Responsibility 2 –Provides Management and Leadership to the Prospect Research team
- Provides strategic leadership and tactical direction to drive prospect research activities. Leads the prospect research hub in balancing reactive research requests with proactive identification, qualification and report presentation, ensuring that research provides fundraisers with the information that they need to effectively manage their pipelines.
- Builds and fosters relationships with other teams of the Philanthropy department and Canadian Red Cross staff in order to strengthen integrated and collaborative fundraising efforts.
- Maintains a high degree of motivation and a superior work ethic consistent with the aim of building a donor-centric culture at the Canadian Red Cross.
- Promotes a service-oriented team environment with common goals and standards of operation.
- Conducts external industry and sector research into trends and opportunities to inform strategic planning initiatives.
- Keeps informed on prospect research and other knowledge and information management trends, best practices, new technologies, and tools by participating in webinars, conferences and professional development/training.
- Conducts individual and group trainings on prospect research procedures and research techniques for CRC Philanthropy staff as needed.
- Manages relationships with related vendors, regularly assess value-add of subscription resources and tools.
- Leads stakeholders through change using a systemic and strategic approach to change management.
Responsibility 3 – Responsible and Accountable for Prospect Management activities
- Evaluates, recommends and implements operating policies and procedures related to prospect management and moves management and ensures that they are uniformly understood and properly administered.
- Creates and maintains new workflow standards, methodologies and best practices related to prospect management.
- After consultation with Philanthropy leadership, is responsible for assigning prospects to solicitors in the database and is accountable to ensure that action is taken with those prospects.
- After consultation with Philanthropy leadership, manually removes prospect assignments or works with Philanthropy Support to globally re-assign or remove prospect assignments (due to lack of movement, resource re-allocation or staffing changes)
- Collaborates with the Business Operations department regarding the utilization and continued evolution of the database; analyzes and provides recommendations on future direction with respect to prospect management.
- Provides input to the Director, Business Operations in setting annual department budget.
Responsibility 4 – Assists in the creation and review of Philanthropy and Marketing Policies
- Assists in the creation of new Philanthropy and Marketing Policies in conjunction with Philanthropy leadership and other internal stakeholders (Legal, Finance etc.)
- Assists in the annual review of Policies specific to Philanthropy and Marketing
- Assists (through working groups, meetings etc.) with the creation and/or review of enterprise wide Policies that impact Philanthropy and Marketing (data governance, quality etc.)
Integrates volunteer resources and fund development within the scope of responsibilities.
Participates in disaster planning, preparation and response as needed.
Contributes to a healthy and safe working environment.
Performs other duties as required.
The minimum qualifications for this position is a University degree in a relevant discipline (particularly Library Sciences or Information Management is ideal) from a recognized academic institution and 8-10 or more years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of commercial and public online services such as iWave PRO, INK Research, Imagine Canada, Marquis Who's Who, Dow Jones, SEDAR, BIG Online
- High level of proficiency and accuracy in the Microsoft suite of products and Fundraising Databases (Raisers Edge/BBCRM experience an asset)
- Understanding of relevant privacy legislation and ethical obligations under the Donor Bill of Rights and APRA’s ethics and professional standards
- Exceptional organizational, time management, technical and numeracy skills
- Superior Analytical skills and the ability to interpret complex information and communicate it to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated problem solving ability and hands-on implementation experience
- Meticulous attention to detail and a high level of sustained concentration
- Natural curiosity and drive to investigate and resolve issues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English required
- French reading comprehension and French written expression an asset
- Experience monitoring and enhancing procedural documents
- Ability to translate requirements into solutions
- Ability to effectively develop strong cross-functional working relationships, evidenced by a track record of teamwork and collegiality, building relationships within and beyond the Philanthropy department
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced and changing environment with multiple conflicting demands
- Experience in supporting change management activities as part of a significant transformation project including stakeholder analysis
- Strong commitment to skills development and learning
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Committed to the Principals of the Red Cross Movement
The majority of this work will be performed in a safe and clean environment. Travel may be required for meetings and training purposes. This position will require working non-traditional hours especially during times of disaster or appeal.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested parties may submit their application by applying on the Canadian Red Cross Online Career Website. This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record, reference check, valid provincial driver’s license, and First Aid certification (training provided.) The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that relocation funding is not available for this position. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We kindly ask not to send in duplicate copies of your resume. No phone calls please.